Gaming 101: How to Clean a Game Console
The average U.S. gamer spends about 6 hours per week playing video games. But, how many hours do you log cleaning your console? Some of the filthiest electronics to enter the doors of CPR stores are game systems, so put on your rubber gloves and follow these step-by-step instructions to learn how to clean a game console.
Tips to Externally Disinfect a Game Console
The number one culprit dirtying your gaming system is dust. Although a little dust might not seem like a big deal, over time dust can impact the performance of your console. Whether you own an Xbox, PlayStation, or Nintendo, utilize these tips to keep your game console running smoothly for longer:
- Dust the console and surrounding areas weekly.
- Invest in a dust cover or cover the console with a clean, dry towel. NOTE: Turn off sleep mode. If the console is covered and is accidentally woken, it will overheat.
- Use a bleach-free cleaning solution and a lint-free cloth to wipe down the console. NOTE: Be careful and avoid getting cleaning solution in any openings.
- Use your choice of antibacterial wipes to lightly wipe down your controllers and gaming accessories. Be sure to avoid any cables and buttons during this process.
- Clean the controller buttons and cables using a Q-tip and isopropyl alcohol.
Once the outside of your game console is squeaky clean, open up the device and clean the internal components.
Steps for Cleansing a Gaming System Internally
If you thought the outside of your game console was dirty, wait until you see the inside! Not only is the inside of a game console typically caked with dust, but we also occasionally find a bug or two.
To ensure your game console is properly taken apart and reassembled post-cleaning, we recommend visiting a CPR store near you. Our technicians have years of experience working on game consoles, as well as countless other electronics. Whether you’re in need of a game console cleaning, computer cleaning, or smartphone cleaning, you can count on us!
If you feel confident that you can disassemble and reassemble your console, follow these steps to properly clean the internal components of your game console.
- Compressed Air
- Soap and Water
Ready? Let’s get down to business.
- Unplug your device and remove any cables.
- Using the iFixit disassembly guide that corresponds with your console, remove the screws that are keeping the plastic covering in place. IMPORTANT NOTE: Before you open the device, please note that many console manufacturers will void your warranty if you dissemble the device.
- Once the plastic components have been removed, soak them in soapy water. Do NOT soak any plastic that has electrical mechanisms.
- When you’re down to the board level, lightly spray a can of compressed air to loosen the dust build up within the console. NOTE: Be cautious of the fan.
- Using a Q-tip, lightly go over the fan to remove any dust.
- From a distance, lightly blow compressed air into the fan. NOTE: Keep your fingers away from the fan during this step.
- Remove the plastic components from the soapy water and allow them to dry for several hours.
- Vacuum your workspace to eliminate any dust that has come out of the console. Be sure to do this before reassembling the console to ensure dust doesn’t re-enter the device.
- Once you are 100% positive that all components are dry, follow the disassembly guide in reverse to reassemble your console.
If you feel that you’re biting off more than you can chew with this project, don’t hesitate to contact your local CPR. CPR technicians have years of experience working on video game consoles of all makes and models, and will gladly handle the lengthy process of cleaning your device.
Think your game console needs more than just a cleaning? We can help with that too! Our stores proudly offer Nintendo repair, PlayStation repair and Xbox repair services. Locate your nearest CPR store for a free estimate on your video game console repair services.