If you’ve been to a phone carrier, big box electronics store, or even a cell phone repair store, chances are you’ve heard the term “screen protector.” But how do you know what type of screen protector is best for your phone? What is the difference between a tempered glass screen protector and a plastic screen protector? Continue reading “Everything You Need to Know About Smartphone Screen Protectors” for answers to all these questions and more.
Smartphone Screen Protectors: Plastic vs. Tempered Glass
Smartphone screen protectors come in two forms: plastic and tempered glass. While there are pros and cons to each, the technicians at CPR Cell Phone Repair typically recommend installing a tempered glass screen protector.
Our technicians prefer tempered glass screen protectors because they:
- Are more durable than plastic. The average glass screen protector has a thickness between 0.3 mm and 0.5 mm, whereas the average plastic screen protector has a thickness of 0.1 mm.
- Have the same feel as a smartphone screen.
- Are more scratch resistant than a plastic screen protector.
If you’re not completely sold on plastic or tempered glass, a liquid screen protector could be right for you. Jacob Braden, Market Manager at CPR Cell Phone Repair, says of liquid screen protectors, “Most customers are surprised to learn that glass is a porous material. The purpose of liquid glass, which is made primarily of silicon dioxide, is to fill the pores and create a stronger glass surface.”
With an increasing interest in liquid glass, Braden says more and more CPR Cell Phone Repair stores will begin carrying this screen protection option.
Is it Necessary to Have a Smartphone Screen Protector?
As Corning Gorilla Glass evolves and becomes increasingly durable, more people are going without a screen protector. However, even the latest Gorilla Glass is susceptible to damage. That’s why technicians at CPR always advise customers to install a screen protector.
Tempered glass screen protectors should be your phone’s first line of defense against cracks and scratches. Although the screen protector may be a minor upfront expense, it is much less expensive than a screen replacement.
Which Smartphone Screen Protectors Are Best?
When it comes to phone protection, not all screen protectors are made equal. It’s typically worth it spend a little extra upfront for long-term protection. The screen protector that comes most highly recommended by technicians is ZAGG InvisibleShield.
InvisibleShield technology provides impeccable scratch and drop protection. Plus, each InvisibleShield screen protector comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
As an InvisibleShield Authorized Warranty and Installation partner, you can rely on CPR locations throughout the United States and Canada for same-day screen repairs, InvisibleShield warranty replacements, and InvisibleShield screen protection sales.
Steps to Install a Tempered Glass Screen Protector
Installing a tempered glass screen protector requires precision and patience. Follow the directions below to successfully install a smartphone screen protector. NOTE: For best results, avoid dust, hair, and touching the protector during the installation process for best results.
- Clean your smartphone screen with rubbing alcohol or eyeglass cleaner.
- Dry the screen with a microfiber cloth.
- Remove the screen protector from its packaging.
- Ensure there are no dust particles on the screen.
- Holding the tempered glass on the sides to avoid fingerprints, peel the adhesive backing from the screen protector.
- Carefully align the protector with the phone, ensuring that all camera and microphone openings are aligned and that the margins on each side of the protector are equal.
- Place the glass on device and lightly apply pressure on the glass to ensure the adhesive is sticking.
- If you notice air bubbles, use the tool included in your kit or a credit card to push the air bubbles towards the edges of the screen protector.
If the tempered glass installation process sounds too complicated, don’t worry! CPR Cell Phone Repair is your one-stop shop for all of your phone protection needs. Our stores carry a wide variety of phone accessories including tempered glass screen protectors and plastic screen protectors.
We encourage you to visit your nearest CPR store for assistance with your screen protector installation and to ask any questions you might have about protecting your device. Our technicians look forward to serving you!