If you have your sights set on the newest gadget, don’t let the hefty price tag drive you away. Though you no longer want your current phone, it could still be worth some cash or even have trade-in value– possibly more than you think! Before you list your phone for sale or visit your local tech store to trade it in, be sure you keep your information safe and delete all your personal data. From photos, text messages, account information and more, it’s likely your phone is storing more data than you realize. For step-by-step help to prepare your phone before reselling it, follow our guide below.
Why You Need to Prepare Your Phone Before Reselling It
Reselling your old phone is a great way to not only make some extra cash, but to also help cut down on e-waste. However, before you jump into selling your phone, it’s essential you take the proper steps to wipe it clean of your personal data and information. Improperly clearing your old phone of data leaves you susceptible to security issues that not only sour the deal but can also compromise your privacy. For help clearing data from an iPhone or Android, see the following steps.
4 Steps to Clear an iPhone’s Data
To wipe your iPhone of all your information:
- Unpair your iPhone with any other connected devices.
- Backup your data to an external source such as a laptop or hard drive.
- Sign out of iCloud by choosing Settings > Your iCloud Name > Sign Out > Turn Off.
- Clear your data by choosing Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.
3 Steps to Clear an Android’s Data
To wipe your Android of all your information:
- Unpair your smartphone with any other connected devices.
- Sync all current apps to your account by choosing System > Backup > Back Up to Google Drive.
- Clear your data by choosing Settings > System > Reset or Backup and Reset > Factory Data Reset > Reset Phone.
Selling Your Phone
Whether you choose to sell your phone to a friend or to a big-box store, be sure to do your research so you get your money’s worth. To land on a proper asking price, compare your device to similar phones online, keeping in mind your device’s condition and age.
Remember that including the original packaging and any accessories may help increase your phone’s value. For more help getting the most money for your used phone, follow these tips from CNET.
Ready to sell your old phone? CPR can help! With our Buy, Sell, Trade Policy, selling your phone or trading it in for something newer is easy. To get started on selling or trading in your old smartphone, locate your nearest CPR store.