Is it Time for iPhone 5S Screen Replacement?
You are in an epic battle. Bananas and apples and melons are flying. Your fingers are slicing through the virtual air like lethal weapons. You are seconds away from a new high score, solidifying your place in Fruit Ninja history. Hacha! Hi-yah! And then suddenly your iPhone 5s screen stops responding.
You think you need an iPhone 5s screen replacement. So you temporarily give up your Fruit Ninja quest and begrudgingly attempt a hard reset by pressing the home button and power. You restart your phone, begin the Fruit Ninja quest once more and BAM – the screen freezes again. You may need to check for software updates. Or perhaps backup and restore your device using iCloud or iTunes. Then again, maybe you need to fix your iPhone 5s screen.
A frozen screen is only one problem that might lead you to seek iPhone 5s screen repair. A more common reason is that you scratched or fractured the screen on accident and can’t use it properly. No matter what situation has befallen your device, you have several repair options (below). But first, let’s a take a look at how you can prevent screen damage.
Proactive Measure: The iPhone 5s Screen Protector
Do you think your iPhone 5s screen lacks durability? To avoid glass repair, you need to shield your device from the elements: temperature extremes, scratching, etc. But sometimes as careful as you are, you can’t shield it from everything – and that’s where an iPhone 5s screen protector comes in!
There are dozens of types of screen protector, from one with optimal touch sensitivity and vibrant color accents (on the home button bar) to one that acts as an extra barrier between the screen and the world. It can take scratches without worry and also be shock-resistant in accidental falls that end in crashing contact with the ground. Many Cell Phone Repair stores offer accessories like the screen protector that can keep your device more secure.
iPhone 5s Screen Replacement Cost Based on Service Options:
Apple Official Store
If your iPhone 5s screen is broken due to a hardware malfunction, Apple should replace your device. However, accidents are another matter entirely. No matter when you buy your smartphone, if you do not invest in Apple Care +, you will have to pay for any repair service through Apple. The iPhone 5s screen replacement cost is $149. That being said, some Apple stores do not have parts or are unwilling to replace the screen alone. If the store cannot replace the cracked screen, they will charge $259 for replacement of the entire unit.
Another option is mail-in service through Apple, in which case you can most likely pay the lower cost for a screen replacement, but it will take longer to get the device back into your hands.
CPR Cell Phone Repair
CPR Cell Phone Repair can handle your iPhone 5s screen repair at an affordable rate with little fuss. The knowledgeable technicians can usually finish repairs in less than 24 hours, ensuring that your smartphone is back in your hands like new. And you need not be worried about voiding an Apple warranty because CPR offers a limited lifetime warranty on all parts and labor associated with your iPhone 5s repair.
No CPR store near you? Mail your device in for the same reliable repair service at the same great cost with the same warranty.
iPhone 5s Screen Replacement Kit
The screen replacement cost will be the lowest by buying an iPhone 5s screen repair kit for a DIY repair, somewhere around $50-70. However, a repair kit simply provides the tools and parts. To use them properly requires patience, skill, and some knowledge of cellular mechanics. It’s not recommended to engage in a DIY repair (see below).
How to Replace The iPhone 5S Screen (DIY Guide)
Front assembly replacement to fix an iPhone 5s screen yourself is technical and tough. Do not attempt this if you do not feel confident, because it will void any existing warranty and could result in a further damaged smartphone.
Up to the challenge? Here’s how to replace the iPhone 5s screen:
- Power off your device. If the screen is frozen, power off with a hard reset – pressing both the home and power buttons.
- Locate the dock port and the twin screws on either side. Remove the screws with a 5 point screwdriver.
- Press a suction cup onto the screen just over the home button. If your screen is cracked or shattered, you may want to tape over the screen prior to suctioning.
- Pull up on the suction cup to displace the screen approximately one inch. There will still be an LCD touch sensor cable running between the front display and back panel.
- Locate the metal cover holding the LCD touch cable in place. Gently pry up and set the metal cover aside.
- Disconnect the touch cable.
- Swing the display up to a 90 degree angle with the back panel and notice where the two are still connected.
- Locate the metal shield covering the display cables. Remove the four screws holding it in place. Then set aside the shield and screws.
- Two cables are revealed beneath the metal shield. Remove each of these gently, revealing a third. Remove the third one as well.
- The front display should now be completely free. You may need to disconnect a few components to use in the new front display, such as: the touch ID sensor, the home button assembly, the earpiece, the front facing camera, and the heat shield. The easier way is to purchase a front display with these components already attached.
- Reassemble the iPhone 5s in reverse order of disassembly.
Your Fruit Ninja Days are not truly over, despite your frozen or cracked screen. You have some iPhone 5s screen repair options, which vary in cost as well as time and labor. Do your homework to decide which is best for you. A great place to start this assessment is by taking your iPhone to the nearest CPR store. The technicians there can give you an estimate on both cost and time. And if you decide to go forward with the repair, your device can be back in your hand by the end of the day. It’s fast and does not put your phone at risk. Instead, you can have the peace of mind that your smartphone will look and feel brand new, work like a charm, and have a warranty that covers parts and service for 6 months.