iPhone 4 Battery Replacement – When and Why You May Need it
If you’ve had trouble with your iPhone 4 battery, you’re not alone. Instead of lasting the advertised 14 hours of talk time, disappointed users have reported it lasting only a few hours in some extreme cases. It’s a giant frustration for a phone that offers so much excitement through other features like a vibrant 3.5” backlit LCD touchscreen, a 5MP camera with LED flash, and at least 8GB of internal memory.
So many users are seeking answers about iPhone 4 battery replacement due to this confusing shortage. Could something else besides a bad battery be causing the drain? Who should you seek iPhone 4 battery repair from if you need it?
Why is your iPhone 4 battery draining so quickly?
According to acclaimed tech expert David Payette, “The vast majority of iPhone battery issues are software related.” Some of those software battery drains include:
- Push Mail – When push mail is enabled, your phone maintains a constant connection to the email server so that you get notified automatically of new mail and messages. The connection requires a data flow that uses a massive amount of battery.
- Tracking – Location, location, location! Apps and built-in services on your iPhone 4 constantly track your location. For some, this is a privacy concern because others can track where you are physically, including advertising agencies. It’s also a significant battery drain.
- App Activity – It’s easy to get caught up in the action of the many apps available at your fingertips on the iPhone 4, and sometimes we forget to shut them down. The more apps that are active at any given time or that crash in the background, the more battery your phone wastes.
Other experts, even Apple technicians on the online web forums, claim battery drain for iPhone 4 occurs due to a corrupt contact sync process or poor battery seating. Both accounts and the battery itself can be removed and reinstalled in an attempt to fix. While you can remove and reinstall the accounts on your own, the battery itself may require professional attention.
Furthermore, expert Sharon Profis of CNET asserts that “it’s not the standout features like AirDrop or the Notification Center — it’s the stealthy settings buried beneath a stack of menus” that truly hurt your precious battery life. So when it comes to figuring out which hidden features are the cause, seeking help from an experienced technician is sometimes the most efficient method.
How to extend iPhone 4 Battery life?
It’s possible to extend your battery life by altering phone settings and counteracting a few common issues that drain iPhone 4 battery life (like those listed above). Here are a few tips you might consider:
- Disable Push Mail – Navigate to Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> Fetch New Data and turn “Push” off. Then switch each individual account to “Fetch” and assign a longer interval (such as 30 minutes) to this feature.
- Disable Location Tracking – Some people may like the location tracking feature for some apps, in which case you shouldn’t turn off this ability completely. Instead, turn off the record you phone keeps of locations by going to Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> System Services -> Frequent Locations. Additionally, you may want to visit Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services to turn off location-based alerts, ads, or the time zone.
- Close Out of Apps and Check for Software Glitches – To clear apps from application memory, double-tap on the home button and swipe upward and offscreen the apps that you do not want active. You can also check for a software glitch that may have crashed apps in the background by visiting Settings -> Privacy -> Diagnostics & Usage -> Diagnostic & Usage Data.
How much does iPhone 4 battery replacement cost?
Your iPhone 4 may have a battery issue that requires battery replacement rather than a change of habits or software fixes. iPhone 4 battery repair is available through several professional service centers, each with a different cost and timeline.
The Apple warranty covers a dysfunctional battery at no cost. But if your device is out of warranty, Apple offers battery replacement service for iPhone 4 for a standard $79 plus shipping. The repair may take up to three weeks.
Batteries+Bulbs now also replaces iPhone screens and batteries. The price may vary but is quoted at $59.99 for replacing iPhone 4 battery. The repair happens in-store on a first come, first serve basis.
CPR Cell Phone Repair:
With more than 100 stores across North America and a simple mail-in repair option, CPR is a convenient choice for any iPhone 4 repair. Other benefits of choosing CPR include affordability, a typical 24-hour turnaround, and a minimum limited lifetime warranty on all parts and labor.
A DIY Guide to iPhone 4 Battery Replacement
You might initially think that you’d be better off trying DIY iPhone 4 repairs because of the lower cost. However, while you will only need to purchase the correct parts, there’s a higher probability of improper repair or further breaking your device. Once you open your iPhone 4, all prior warranties are rendered void. So if you do end up damaging your device, you’ll be paying more in the long run to repair more parts.
If you choose to DIY iPhone 4 battery repair, take these steps:
- Power off your device.
- Remove the two pentalobe screws near the Lightning connector.
- Slide the rear panel toward the top edge of the phone. It will shift 2 mm or so.
- Gently pull the rear panel away from the rest of the device, careful not to break the casing clips that were holding it in place.
- Locate the silver iPhone battery connector panel toward the bottom left of the battery. Unscrew the two screws attaching it to the logic board (and pay attention to where each individual screw goes).
- Use a plastic opening tool to gently pry up the battery connector. Start from the bottom edge and be sure that the connector is removed vertically. Attempting to force it sideways could break it.
- Use the plastic opening tool to detach the pressure contact beneath the battery connector panel. (Avoid touching the pressure contact, as the oils from your fingers can create wireless interference. Also avoid pulling up the battery connector socket.)
- Insert the plastic tool beneath the bottom right side of the battery and gently pry up, working your way up the length of the battery until it is free from the adhesive.
- Pull slowly and smoothly on the clear plastic pull tab until your battery detaches and comes free. If it does not come free, you can use the plastic opening tool. However, using the plastic tool in the wrong place may permanently damage the logic board.
- Replace the old battery with a new battery, and follow steps in reverse order until the phone is back together.
Remember, it’s not always clear which components need repair in the first place. An expert technician, like those at CPR, offer a free diagnosis and estimate so that you know exactly what is wrong and how much you will need to invest to fix it. They also understand how to replace an iPhone 4 battery connector and other related pieces if necessary. Find a Cell Phone Repair store near you and stop by today!
MORE ON Microsoft Surface Pro 4
WHAT CUSTOMERS ARE SAYING
They did such an amazing job on my daughters phone! Also recommended a case and screen protector to try and protect against future damages Ty!
Ethan at the Natchitoches, La office receives high marks for his expertise, friendliness, and willingness to go the extra mile He is a keeper for an employee
Jo Lynn Cooper
Very helpful and quick with repair and sending in claim.