iPad 2 Digitizer Replacement – Professional Repair or a DIY Fix?
At a mere 6.1 mm, the iPad 2 is the slimmest Apple tablet yet – not to mention it’s faster and has an enhanced display. Of course, all of these great advancements over the previous model have resulted in a very popular tablet. But the paper thin design has also meant more accidental drops. Once the screen is damaged from cracks and fractures, the iPad cannot be enjoyed to its fullest capacity.
That’s when you need iPad 2 digitizer replacement! iPad 2 screen repair starts with deciding between service options; that’s why we’ve outlined them below, including a DIY guide. No matter which option you choose, if you hit a dead end remember that Cell Phone Repair is a quick call away!
iPad 2 Digitizer Replacement Services
Official Apple Store
All hardware-based malfunctions with the LCD display or iPad 2 digitizer are covered under the Apple one year warranty. To submit a repair/replacement request and send in your device may take up to three weeks to resolve. However, Apple warranty doesn’t cover accidental damage. For those with Apple Care+, two incidents of accidental damage are covered with a service fee.
iPad 2 Digitizer Replacement with CPR
Cell Phone Repair is a one-stop shop for expert knowledge in electronic repair and replacement – and iPad 2 repairs make no difference! With common parts on hand and expedient care, most repairs can be completed within 24 hours. That means you can have your iPad 2 back in hand to surf the web, watch the latest on Netflix, and Skype with family or friends. Best of all, all service and parts are covered under a limited lifetime warranty.
iPad 2 Digitizer Replacement Guide (for DIY)
DIY iPad 2 screen repair puts the control in your hands, from cost to time spent. However, it’s important to consider the potential danger of opening a delicate device without the proper experience. Using the heat gun alone could cause considerable damage if done inappropriately. Also, any warranty you have through Apple or elsewhere will be void once you attempt to DIY.
If you still want to DIY, this is how to fix the iPad 2 digitizer:
- The iPad 2 screen is kept in place by adhesive. You must use a heat gun (or blow dryer) around the edges to soften the adhesive. Circle the heat gun approximately one inch above the device, and avoid hovering over one area for too long. While softening the adhesive, begin prying the screen upward with a plastic prying tool by inserting it between the digitizer and the iPad frame. If you cannot insert the tool, continue to use heat until the adhesive has been softened enough to insert it. Work your way around the screen doing this. Avoid the following areas as much as possible::
● Cellular antenna (about one inch on either side of the camera)
● Power button cable (on the topmost part of the right side of the iPad)
● Wifi antenna (just to the right of the home button on the bottom)
- Once one section is raised, move on to the next section/side of the iPad until the screen is loose.
- Open the digitizer from the right side, as if you are opening a book cover. The left side will stay connected via the digitizer cable.
- Remove the four screws on the corners of the LCD display. Using a pry tool on the right, gently lift the LCD. Note: It will still be connected by the LCD cable which should be likewise gently lifted (to break the adhesive to the device).
- Locate the clasp holding the LCD cable in place. Use the pry tool to pop it out of the socket. Then place the fully detached LCD screen somewhere safe.
- Locate the digitizer cable (holding the screen on) and its socket. Lift the two clasps holding the cable in the socket. Back the cable out of the socket and set aside the entire digitizer screen.
- Perform these steps in reverse order to attach the new iPad digitizer replacement screen.
iPad 2 Digitizer Replacement Cost Comparison
If Apple assesses that your broken iPad 2 screen is not due to bad hardware or if you do not have accidental damage coverage through the Apple Care+ plan, you will have to pay for a brand new iPad 2. Otherwise, the service fee through Apple Care+ is a standard $49. And the repair service with neither warranty nor coverage costs $249 plus shipping, which replaces your entire device.
Are you worried about the digitizer repair cost? Cell Phone Repair stores offer a free estimate prior to agreeing to repair services. The cost may vary based on the extent of the damage. For instance, the problem might go beyond the digitizer repair to full-screen replacement, home button replacement, and even camera replacement. That’s why it’s recommended to seek expert advice prior to investing in other service options, including the more risky DIY repair.
iPad 2 Digitizer Replacement Kit
You can purchase a kit online for anywhere between $50-100 that comes with a display and digitizer as well as the necessary tools. This option may be the cheapest, but it’s also the riskiest. If you try to replace the iPad 2 digitizer yourself, you may end up paying more to replace your device later on.
Now that you have read about all the options above, you should have a better idea about the best iPad 2 digitizer replacement options for your situation. If you do choose to have professionals fix your device, be sure to contact your local CPR location for a free repair estimate on site. In no time, you’ll have a fully functional iPad 2!