Water Damaged Phone Repair
Cell Phone Water Damage
Water damage can cause crucial problems with the delicate internal circuitry in your phone or other device, leaving it inoperable and your information gone for good. Was your device dropped in the toilet accidentally or slobbered on by the dog? Did you jump in the pool with your phone, leave it in the rain, or accidentally throw it in the wash? Try the following steps to save your phone.
Troubleshooting Cell Phone Water Damage
Safety note: do not touch a phone that is wet and plugged into a charger!
Remove the device from the water as quickly as possible, and remove the battery immediately. Removing the battery quickly could make the difference to save your phone. Most phones have a white indicator near the battery that will turn pink or red if water has damaged the device. You can try to draw the moisture out by submerging the phone in a bowl of rice or other absorbent material overnight. You can also try to dry it out with a vacuum cleaner, as long as you don’t hold the vacuum too close to the device. Sometimes cleaning the phone with rubbing alcohol will work if it has not been exposed to water very long.
Here are some other Do’s and Don’ts.
- Remove the sim card, memory card, and anything else that might be plugged into the device.
- Dry gently with an absorbent towel.
- Don’t push any buttons! This could force water further into the circuits.
- Don’t use a hairdryer on the phone – this could also push water into the phone and do further damage.
- Don’t move the phone more than you have to. It is best to keep the phone still to prevent water from spreading throughout the device.
- Don’t turn the phone on too soon. It is best to wait 24 hours before attempting to turn your phone back on.
Repairing Cell Phones with Water Damage
If you have tried the advice above and your phone is still not working, let us look at your phone. Our expert technicians at CPR will make every effort possible to salvage your water damaged phone or other device. However, if the damage is beyond repair, CPR has the technology to retrieve any information stored on your phone and transfer them to a new device. Walk-in to a local store or mail-in your device for a free estimate.